About ECG Competency
ECG Competency is a concept developed by Dr. Ken Grauer as part of his comprehensive educational program on
The goal of this essential component is to assess (and objectively document) the ECG interpretation skills of the primary care clinician.
Components of the comprehensive ECG program are described in detail on my web site (at the above link).
ECG-2014-Pocket Brain Expanded book (available in both hard copy book form - and/or as an ePub for kindle or ibooks).
- Educational ECG Blog (a free on-line source for ongoing practice in the interpretation of numerous 12-lead and arrhythmia cases – each with detailed explained answers).
- My ECG Videos (an ever expanding free on-line resource highlighting meticulously prepared step-by-step narrated illustration of KEY ECG concepts).
- ECG Competency Assessment (= the contents of this web site).
Although we hope you’ll consider integrated use of the other components of our ECG program – the ECG Competency Practice and REAL Exams on this web site may be used independently as a means for improving one’s ECG interpretation ability and assessing one’s competency in this skill.
- Currently there are 4 REAL Exams to be used for assessment of ECG Competency. Each exam is identical in format. Availability of multiple exams allows opportunity for restudy and retaking another exam if a suboptimal score is obtained on one's initial attempt.
- There are 3 Practice Exams. Each has been painstakingly developed to educate as well as assist in preparing for the REAL Exam. Detailed explained answers plus links to brief (1-to-4 page) pdfs that review essential topics accompany each question in the Practice Exams.
We hope you enjoy ECG Competency. Please send me your questions and give me your feedback!
Ken Grauer, MD (email@example.com)
About the Developer
Ken Grauer, MD
Dr. Grauer is a nationally known primary care physician educator with unparalleled experience over the past 35 years in the areas of teaching and publishing on ECG Interpretation/Arrhythmias/ACLS for primary care clinicians, students, and residents. Among his accomplishments are:
- Primary author of more than 15 books and numerous study aids on the topics of ECG interpretation, cardiac arrhythmias and ACLS.
Dr. Grauer’s books have been translated into 4 languages and have sold over 500,000 copies nationwide.
- Presenter at well over 300 major Conferences over the past 35 years on various cardiology topics for family physicians, nurses, and other primary care providers – including numerous ECG Workshops and keynote speaker invitations at national meetings.
- Author of ECG Review columns that have been published monthly in various family practice journals since 1983.
This work has been expanded in recent years with development of his free on-line resources
– ECG Videos)
– and his frequent expert on-line commentaries regarding ECG postings on the EKG Club, ECG Guru, and other related sites.
- Recipient of numerous Awards for teaching excellence at the local, state and national levels.
Dr. Grauer retired from his 30-year academic position as core faculty in the Family Medicine Residency Program
at the University of Florida, College of Medicine in July, 2010.
Now Professor Emeritus –
he views completion of numerous books, ePubs, ECG videos and Blog posts since retirement,
and development of this ECG Competency Assessment site as crowning achievements in his career as an educator.
There is lots more still to come!
NOTE: My exceptionally capable software developer is Andrew Weitzen and his company Bronze Inc.
If you need an exam system, software development or other Internet consulting services,
you can reach Andrew through his publication InternetHandholding.com.